Discover the Top Tricks and Tips to Prevent Pest Infestations During Hurricane Season
Living in Florida, we are all too familiar with the havoc that hurricane season can wreak on our homes. In addition to the obvious property damage and potential danger to our families, hurricanes also bring another unwelcome guest into our lives – pests. But fear not, because we have compiled a list of the best ways to prevent pest infestations and keep your home safe this hurricane season.
Types of Pests to Watch Out For After A Hurricane
So, what types of pests should you be on the lookout for during hurricane season in Florida? Here are the most commonly encountered pests:
- Mosquitoes: Thriving in warm and wet climates, these pesky insects lay eggs in standing water. The aftermath of a hurricane provides the perfect breeding ground for them.
- Ants: Seeking refuge from the storm, ants may find their way into your home in search of a dry and safe environment.
- Cockroaches: Moist areas become the prime spot for cockroaches to hide during a hurricane. Under sinks, behind appliances, and in trash cans are common hiding places.
- Termites: Attracted to moisture, termites can become more active after a storm, causing potential damage to your home's structure.
- Rodents: Disrupting the natural habitats of rodents, hurricanes can lead them to seek shelter and food in residential areas. Rats and mice may find their way into your home during and after a hurricane.
Prevention Methods To Keep Pests Out
Now that you know what types of pests to watch out for, here are some tips to prevent a pest infestation in your home this hurricane season:
Tip #1: Remove Sources of Standing Water
Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water, so it's crucial to remove any standing water around your property. Empty flower pots, birdbaths, and other containers that may collect water.
Tip #2: Dispose of Rotting or Spoiled Food
To prevent flies, dispose of any rotting or spoiled food before the storm hits. Flies are attracted to decaying matter, and leaving it behind can invite them into your home.
Tip #3: Keep Food Sealed
While stocking up on food and water before a hurricane is important, it can also attract pests. Ants and other pests can easily get into unsealed food containers, so make sure to keep all food properly sealed.
Tip #4: Move Debris Away From Your Home's Foundation
Wood piles and other debris can provide hiding spots for pests, allowing them easy access into your home. Move any debris or firewood away from your home's foundation to reduce the risk of infestation.
Tip#5: Seal Potential Entry Points
Pests can find their way through small cracks and crevices. Seal up any openings in your home's walls, windows, and doors to prevent pests from entering.
Tip #6: Clean Gutters and Downspouts
Cleaning your gutters and downspouts before a storm can help prevent water damage to your home and reduce breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Clogged gutters can create pools of standing water, attracting pests.
Get Professional Pest Control
The most effective way to prevent pest infestations is by partnering with a reliable pest control company like Choice Pest Management. Our experts are equipped with the knowledge, experience, and tools to eliminate and prevent pests from invading your home. Contact our team today!